Our History
The Scottish Tramway Museum Society (STMS) was formed in 1951 out of the (then) Light Railway Transport League.

This was prompted by the knowledge that a very significant Glasgow Corporation tram was about to be disposed of. This was "No.3", a Mains Testing car convertedfrom one of the original electric trams of 1898 (672).

The Society's pioneering members negotiated its purchase from the Corporation's Transport Department and the tram was stored by the undertaking for the duration.
In1953 Aberdeen's last open balcony cars were being withdrawn and the fledgling STMS successfully agreed terms of purchase of locally built No.73. The body of the tram made its way to Paisley where it was stored in the open - not enjoying the covered premises andsafety of Glasgow's Dalmarnock Depot. Theambitions of the Society suffered a serious blow when vandalism and theft rendered
the tram's situation untenable and the decision was taken to scrap it.


No.73 was not the only such casualty assimilarsituations had been faced inEngland and the Republic of Ireland.

Despite this hammer blow, Glasgow Corporation's former Paisley District Tram No. 68 which was about to be scrapped (as Glasgow's 1068), was secured for preservation. This was an act of faith. Glasgow Corporation were able to offer covered accommodation but, for how long?
The ensuing years saw membership grow and funds accumulated through sales of publications.


Regular meeting were held in the Secretary's home in Cambuslang.
By 1960, scrapping of the mighty Glasgow tramway system was
gathering force and the STMS was given notice to remove their cars 672 and 1068. In the end, 672 was taken over by the Corporation's Museums Department while 1068 was despatched to the Tramway Museum at Crich which was still in embryo state having established itself on its site the year before.


Another act of faith!


The end of the Glasgow tramway system came in 1962 but not before it had been possible to present a Coronation car (1282) to the Tramway Museum. The Society also paid the purchase price of a Maximum Traction car (so-called "Kilmarnock Bogie") 1115 which was alsodespatched to Crich.

Since then many publications have appeared with each one seemingly more ambitious than the last. This has enabled significant donations to be made to the Tramway Museum, principally
electrically operated tram jacks.


The Society changed its name in 1986 to the Scottish Tramway & Transport Society (STTS) to reflect the widening interests of its members.


Meetings are still held monthly at the Renfield St Stephen's Centre in Glasgow on the second Friday of every month at which the Society
prides its self in quality speakers.


In addition, Continental Study tours are arranged each year, usually in June.